Over the past few months, Frumple has been generating new random seeds on the Gamma server to find good candidates for our final “new” map. While we’re not quite ready to vote on a finalist yet, we are beginning to compile a lot of seeds that are looking quite favorable.
Our criteria for a “good” seed is that the world:
- Has the spawn point, (0,0), in or adjacent to a Plains biome.
- Has a significantly sized Mesa biome somewhere on the map.
- Has a significantly sized snowy biome somewhere on the map with 1.7 biomes, like Ice Mountains, Ice Plains, Ice Plains Spikes, Cold Taiga or Cold Taiga M.
- Has interesting water features like oceans, rivers and lakes. Bonus points if there are good-sized islands in the middle of the ocean.
- Has some desert, savannah, forest and extreme hills biomes. Bonus points if it includes the variants like Sunflower Plains.
- Has a minimal amount of biomes that most people avoid – these are the jungle and swamp biomes, as they’re often times crowded over by shrubbery and vines. These biomes are OK but in small quantities.
Our world settings for generation are:
- Minecraft 1.7.9
- Large Biomes
- Random seeds (though we are keeping track of them)
- Structures turned off
- The world radius will be doubled to 6400 blocks in each direction from spawn (-6400 to +6400), however just like the current world you will be able to see outside of that.
We’ve been posting Dynmap renders of each seed to this imgur album. Our current favorites are seeds 2 and 14. We’re currently generating seed 54!
If you’re interested in helping us out, you can download AMIDST v3.6 from the Minecraft Forums here. This tool will let you view the biomes of a seed without generating it, in a map like Dynmap. For best results, turn off all of the layers, and keep pressing Control-R (same on Mac) until you find a good seed, then copy it to your clipboard and send us an email at admin [at] minecartrapidtransit.net. Who knows, it might become a Candidate Seed or even the final seed!
(Note: We can’t generate every seed and turn it into a candidate seed, but we will look at all seeds you send us with AMIDST and generate the ones that look awesome).
You can discuss these seeds on our subreddit, /r/mrtserver.
Thanks, and good luck with seed-searching!