Highway to Somewhere
frogggggg‘s proposal to build the B315 and B316 were denied. All the towns involved were unranked and deemed too small. Staff prefer that towns are at least councilor before asking for approval to build A/B roads.
KIttyCat11231‘s proposal to add a rail station underneath the work-in-progress Central City Park and Ride was approved.
OriginRailway‘s proposal to extend the B287 from Celina to Origin City was approved.
Narnia17‘s proposal to have a seaplane exemption in Utopia was approved.
kingnsake‘s A54 extension was approved to continue down to Rattlerville.
HarborRandom852‘s proposal to build the B963 from Miu Wan to Ngau Ling was denied as Ngau Ling is unranked and too small.
Postcards back Home
MinecraftYoshi26 is back to hosting the MRTvision Screenshot Contest with the ninth season in Wazamawazi. Staff approved the event funding so we can’t wait to see the spectacular screenshots of around the server. Remember that the top 10 will be displayed on the website too!
Slight Change of Hands
MIKE24DUDE was approved to bypass Lanark and Spruce Hills for a Network South Central rail line.
Foote_Chicken‘s IAT of New Ashmore (owned by verytablemyner) at XE44 was approved.
Tracking the MRT
Staff approved 2 extensions to the MRT!
Missa_Solemnis will be extending the Arctic Line from its current terminus in Kaloro City to intersect the Western Line in Bristol.
Headed up by autobus22 (with assistance from DintyB and hvt2011), they will will be extending the Zephyr North and Lakeshore lines together. The Zephyr/Lakeshore lines will be extended to Oparia LaTourneau. The Zephyr will continue north to Oparia Waterport while the Lakeshore will go east to New Mackinaw.
The Little Things
The Welcome Center in Central Park will be getting a little of a facelift. Based on member feedback, MinecraftYoshi26 will be leading touch-ups to the Welcome Center. Be sure to submit any feedback to them!
EliteNeon‘s proposal to rename to Lake 31 to Lake Superior was approved! (happy chief noises)
Based off of PtldKnight‘s proposal to upgrade Spawn City Station elevators to Lift from EElevator, staff agreed to allow any member to upgrade any server-owned building in Spawn City and all MRT Stations on the Old World to Lift. We do ask to keep the same structure of the elevators (as in keeping the gold tops and bottoms).
See ya at the September GSM on September 11th!
Wowee! We had a long GSM with lots of things to talk about. As many have noticed, we’ve promoted quite a number of new staff. In addition, we’ve had a number of changes so let’s get into it!
With a tally of 9-0, Redwood (built by MC_Protocol) was promoted to Premier! The full text of his acceptance speech can be read below.
We promoted 6 of the 7 nominated candidates this GSM!
|Name||For||Neutral||Against||Did Not Vote|
Congrats to DintyB, hvt2011, ondist, MC_Protocol, Narnia17, and MPolo455!
It’s all in the Community
We had an hour discussion over the current plagiarism rules based on a proposal by autobus22, Frosty_Creeper10, and CaptainObi. The discussion was how we can modify the rules to keep the intent there but ease the burden of record keeping from town mayors. At the end of it all, Staff agreed to roll back requiring town mayors to declare copied builds and moving to an affirmation that the town mayor has acquired the required permissions. This will be updated on City Rank forms to a checkbox on town promotions. Final wording is a still a Work-In-Progress in staff channels and will get public feedback when ready.
autobus22 proposed rewarding voting up the server on server lists. Staff were interested in it and requested for auto to look into how we should reward without breaking the experience for members who don’t vote up the server. There shouldn’t be an advantage for players that vote up and ones who don’t.
sesese9‘s proposal to open the super-secret Staff World was accepted. All staff (former/current) will have one month (until next GSM) to remove private stuff that they do not want others to see from Staff World. After that, members can freely come, on request, to the Staff World and see why we say it’s not that interesting.
With the advent of threads on Discord, chiefbozx proposed removing the #media-discussion and #event-discussion channels and using threads on the announcements channels. Staff settled on a compromise solution where threads will be enabled in the -announcements channels while keeping the -discussion channels for now to give a trial period. Staff will re-evaluate whether to actually remove the -discussion channels at a later time (roughly in October).
After the events of Vulpicula’s departure, autobus22 proposed a Miranda Rights for members/staff when talking to admins or server owner. This was approved and expanded to included conversations with any staff member. The text is the following:
Members and Staff can request another staff member to be present at discussions which would otherwise be one-on-one in order to make sure they feel as safe and comfortable as possible.
__7d submitted a proposal to modify the airfield rules. This would have done the following:
- Set a gate limit (suggested was 20-22 small gates)
- Raise block limit from 7.5K (limit would be chosen by staff)
- Set minimum length of airfield runways to 100m
- Set minimum width of airfield runways to 9m or 11m
This proposal was denied over the fact that staff don’t want to mandate dimensions over an airfield. If members want to build bigger airfields/airports than we would encourage you to build toward Governor.
We are enabling /mspt on Beta, based on a proposal from __7d. This will allow staff to evaluate its worth and possible enabling on main server. Similar to /tps, /mspt will show the number of milliseconds per tick.
Getting You from Here to There
EliteNeon‘s proposal to build a Central City Park and Ride Bus Terminal was approved. The terminal will be built to the west of Central City NW MRT Station.
RadiantRanger26‘s extension of the B844 to Norwest was approved.
Freskooo‘s B341 was approved between the B34 and Nagahori
_Z3NO_‘s proposal to build the B680 was approved between Welchett and Cactus Springs
Make the Money Flow
HarborRandom852‘s Formula MRT will return again with Season 2! Staff have approved their funding request so be on the look out!
HarborRandom852‘s Inactive Asset Transfer (IAT) of USSRgrad (built by BrokenKidney) was denied however staff have given them limited permissions regarding the area. Harbor can build within 300 blocks and connect the town to outside roads from Harbor’s neighboring town of Miu Wan.
autobus22‘s IAT of Jeeka (owned by mustang_guy) was approved due to their neighboring city of Wazamawazi.
EliteNeon‘s IAT of a Cessna Citation V design (created by Keks63) was approved. Similar to past topics, Elite will be the point person of the design however the design is free and open for anyone to use.
Working on the Rail
Circulating the discord and ultimately at the GSM, autobus22/Missa_Solemnis proposed PUNS (Project Unshuttle the Shittle) which would have extended the Marina Shuttle from its current terminus at AT – Merchant City – District Center (XE8) southwest to Central City Inchmuir (A0). The joke of extending the shuttle has been here for a while and auto wanted to make it a reality.
However, staff denied extending another MRT Line into Central City. Chiefbozx iterated that he would have liked to see the Marina extended north to possibly serve New Phoenix/Hendon. Other staff/dissidents voiced that the MRT should be used to serve more of Zeta and disagreed with auto’s points that the MRT isn’t really used for transportation anymore but more of a landmark of where you are in the world.
godzilltrain has been employed to fix a new redstone bug in current MRT stations. With the update to 1.16, singular pieces of redstone dust can be change to a dot or cross mode. This is an issue as a single block of redstone dust sits below the fast departure button and can be modified by anyone (including guests). Godz volunteered his services to go to every single station and add another block of redstone dust, making a line of redstone dust. This blocks the cross mode of redstone dust which would block the departure bay from working. The picture below shows the bay with the new additional redstone dust.
Over the last several months we have seen several staff members either step down completely or step back from server presence. So, for the sake of transparency, we wish to acknowledge the following departures that have occurred since the last time I posted:
Frumple is on leave indefinitely
As of July 16, 2021, Frumple has taken a leave of absence that he expects to last at least one month (and potentially longer). While he is away, I have invoked the Head Admin responsibilities and will be processing many of his duties in his absence, including moderator veto statuses and final decisions over sanction appeals. I will not be taking over financial or legal responsibilities, so if you have questions about a supporter contribution, rest assured it will still be answered or processed in due course (though may take longer than usual).
Frumple has asked that he only be contacted in an emergency, and even then that such contact should route through myself or another admin whenever possible. If you have something that you need to bring to his attention, please let me know and I will pass it along if it’s necessary to do so.
Frumple’s post in #announcements goes into this decision in a bit more detail, so please read it carefully. I will be discussing some of the operational details at the August GSM, especially for near-term items like re-enabling command blocks. Otherwise, I intend to keep things running as best I can with as few changes as necessary. Please do reach out with any questions, concerns, or feedback.
unjinz suspended for inactivity
Back in May, I announced that we had initiated inactivity review proceedings against two moderators. unjinz was one of the moderators we approached; the other has returned to active status. We do not anticipate any further inactivity-related suspensions at this time.
As always, we are grateful to the contributions that unjinz made during his nearly four-year tenure on staff, and we wish him the best in his future endeavors.
daltdisneyland, kyyl_, VickiTori_, and Vulpicula have stepped down
Between mid-June and mid-July, four moderators (daltdisneyland, kyyl_, VickiTori_, and Vulpicula) have each independently stepped down from their positions. Each of them posted (or shared with us) a resignation letter, which is posted in #announcements in Discord.
These four moderators had a combined 1,787 days of service (nearly 5 years), plus plenty of time as members before then. Each of them built a significant presence on the server in one way or another during their service, either by building a Premier-ranked city, hosting events, having strong camaraderie with the community, or some combination of the three. We are grateful for all of the contributions these moderators made to the community.
As of right now I don’t know whether or not we will promote any of our seven (!!) candidates at the August GSM. I will, however, say THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to submit nominations.
The Ranks page should be up to date with our current voting procedures. For this GSM:
- A majority “Yes” vote (in this case, 5 out of 9) is needed for a candidate to pass.
- A candidate can be blocked with “No” votes from three staff members or 21%, whichever is larger. In this case, three “No” votes is enough to block a promotion.
- Staff will vote in a random order for the initial ballot, and have an opportunity to change their minds during the discussion afterwards.
- A candidate who is approved at the meeting will take office after the meeting is over.
The GSM will begin at 19:00 UTC on Sunday, and we currently expect the moderator candidates to begin being considered at approximately 19:45.
Looking ahead to future months’ nomination cycles (the September cycle is now open):
- Some of the nominations we received this month were borderline or firmly lackluster in quality. Please carefully review the recommendations on the Ranks page for information on what we are looking for. Through a combination of any evidence or testimony you’re submitting, plus your own personal arguments, we should get an understanding of why you are bringing a particular candidate forward. We do not require hard evidence in every nomination, though we do expect some effort to be included. We can generally tell when you’re nominating someone “just to see what happens”, or because you think someone else will also nominate them.
- Re-submitting nominations verbatim generally isn’t a good idea. While we don’t have any direct policies prohibiting this, we would prefer seeing new nominations if your candidate doesn’t get considered or promoted. Some notes on this one in particular:
- It’s perfectly okay to submit the same direct evidence in successive nominations for the same person. Please don’t submit the same “witness testimony” evidence repeatedly.
- If a candidate was considered but not promoted, generally we will ask for a new nomination, or at the very least new arguments on the same evidence.
- There is a fine line between acceptable collaboration/coordination and unacceptable bandwagoning. It’s generally okay to talk with others about who you’re considering nominating, or get some ideas of candidates from others. We did, however, see some behavior this time around that suggested some of the candidates were nominated simply to bring someone above the two-nomination threshold and get them considered, and not because of genuine support for the candidate. In general, it’s best to collaborate on a list of candidates before writing and submitting nominations.
- Candidates need to stay out of the process until they are asked to confirm their candidacy. If you nominate someone, it’s okay to tell them that you have filed a nomination. However, because the list of nominations can change (up or down) at any time, please do not keep track of who has received how many nominations. We did remove some nominations after they were submitted, which could have affected some candidates’ listings. It’s always better to assume that a candidate does not yet have two nominations until the list is published.
- Please be sure to check the member list for preemptive declines and veto statuses. While I have not changed any veto statuses in the last month, that may change in the future, and I may only post them to the member list.
We’ll see you this weekend for the GSM. Stay safe, everyone!