I’ve been getting questions regarding ranks and promotion eligibility on Gamma. So here’s the lowdown on who can get promoted to what when.
Update: Sorry, there was an error, I forgot to mention that Members can also start building their towns right away too!
- [Guest]s: You will be migrated over to the [Guest] rank. You can always submit a member application to get promoted to [Member]! To do so, have a read through the rules and FAQ, then fill out a member application here.
- [Member]s: You will be migrated over to the Member rank, and you can start building your town immediately (woohoo!). So long as you received membership by September 20, 2014, you are immediately eligible for promotion to [Citizen] once you meet the other rank requirements (build a home and business in existing towns, and don’t have any active warnings against you). If you received membership later than that, you are eligible for promotion two weeks after your membership date.
- [Mayor]s: You will be migrated over to the new [Citizen] rank and can start building your town immediately. You are also immediately eligible for endorsements towards the [Trustee] rank. We will begin handling Trustee promotions next week.
- [Trusted] members: You will be migrated over to the new [Trustee] rank and can start building your town immediately. You are immediately eligible for endorsements towards the [Councillor] rank and can be promoted once you’ve built a town that meets the requirements for Councillor status. You will be eligible for endorsements towards [Mayor] once you’ve held [Councillor] for 2 weeks. We will begin handling Councillor promotions next week.
Long story short: anyone at or above Member gets to start building their towns immediately. Woohoo! And most of you will be eligible for a rank promotion right away. Remember that your town doesn’t get recognized, or advanced perks (like renaming the MRT station or building stadiums), until you rank up, so be sure to ask for endorsements once you’re eligible for promotion.
For the full list of ranks, perks and requirements, check out the Ranks page.
After two hours of deliberation, deep discussion, and arguments about pizza, we have decided on some final details about the new world! As usual, Frumple has recorded the public portion of the meeting.
Update September 29: Members have created a wiki page for planning MRT station claims. While this is NOT an official claim system, you are welcome to check it out and see what areas players are interested in. Remember, you can only claim one MRT station when the world opens on Saturday. Here’s the wiki page if you’re interested!
Here are the highlights:
- The server is set to be taken offline the evening of Thursday, October 2. During that time, all services except Mumble will be taken down.
- The new server opens at noon Pacific / 7pm UTC on Saturday, October 4. We may open it an hour or two on either end depending on the migration status, but we will keep you posted on Friday and Saturday as things get moved.
- If you want things to be migrated over, place them in the world now. We will not copy builds from one world to the other. Your inventory and ender chest, along with any custom maps, will likely be lost in migration, so please place them in regular chests in the world now.
- The airports have been nationalized. The staff will be designating “caretakers” for them soon to oversee them to completion.
- All air travel construction on the new world is a perk of the Governor rank. This includes airports, heliports and spaceports.
- Amusement parks are a perk of the Premier rank. Most other details of the Premier rank will be determined as players approach it.
- Players will start with $10.00 when they join the server. This will allow you to try out uCars and use warps right away. Remember that you earn 5¢ every minute you’re online and not AFK, and it only costs 25¢ to use a warp or to buy a liter of fuel for uCars. We may adjust these prices in the future.
- Mayors will be transferred over to the new Citizen rank. Trusted members will be transferred over to the new Trustee rank. All other players (Members, Guests and staff) will retain their current ranks and warnings.
- Supporters will retain their benefits.
- By the way: Thank you to all who have supported the server in the last 11 months. The supporter system launched with Minecraft 1.6.4 almost a year ago and has been a tremendous success, with over $600 in contributions from you guys. That’s enough to cover the Alpha server (old VPS) and all extra fees for the domain and Mumble and such. If you would like to help, check out our supporter policy here, which has instructions on how to contribute. If you’re not in a position to help out, you are officially absolved of all guilt.
A few reminders about the new world:
- You are allowed to claim ONE MRT station when the map opens on Saturday. No exceptions – including staff. You may not claim two or more stations, even though they may be right next to each other. Staff will be enforcing this and releasing extra claims – yes, even on the 119 stations of the Circle Line (which ZOMG THAT’S A LOT OF STATIONS).
- You are allowed to claim a small amount of land, provided you develop it quickly. This includes land around MRT stations. Staff will be enforcing this rule and we will release claims if they are too big (usually bigger than 200×200), if they’ve sat undeveloped for a long time (usually 2 weeks), or if players are claiming an excessive number of smaller land parcels. You may not reserve an entire biome for yourself, nor may you reserve large islands just for your builds.
- Laboratories, arenas and mini games are banned from the new world. If you would like to build a redstone lab, you may do so in the Lab world (yellow portal from the new world). If you would like to build a minigame or arena, those go in the Games world (blue portal from the new world).
- Airports and stadiums will no longer be banned on either the old or new worlds as of Saturday. They are now a perk of the Governor and Senator ranks, respectively. High-speed rail systems are still banned on all worlds.
- Only original builds on the new world are counted towards promotions. We will not count any builds in the Lab, Games, Space or Old worlds towards your build count for a promotion.
- Moderators can promote now too – up to the [Mayor] rank! If you want to have your town reviewed for promotion, you can ask a mod to have a look in addition to admins. You need two staff members to approve your town before you can be promoted to Citizen, Councillor, or Mayor.
- Towns and builds need to be far apart from each other – a good rule of thumb is about 500 blocks apart. We may ask you to move your town or build if it’s too close to someone else’s. (Remember, the new world is HUGE compared to the old world – 400 MRT stations across 11 lines, and almost 10 times the space!)
- Members are discouraged from requesting WorldEdits during Opening Week (through and including Saturday, October 11). Staff will be busy adjusting things, finishing random tasks on the MRT system, and working on their own projects like the Mail Center during that time.
- After Opening Week we will be performing WorldEdits as normal. However, we will prefer doing WorldEdits that are not land-scarring. For instance, removing trees, tall grass, vines, and other ground vegetation/foliage is OK, but taking out a whole mountain is not. We encourage you to work with the landscape as much as you can.
- There should be at least one mod and/or at least one admin online at all times during the first few days. We’re more than happy to help you get oriented in the new world and get started on your new cities, as well as continue to answer questions about the new rules, ranks and construction guidelines.
Phew, that was a lot. I hope you all are as excited as I am. DFTBA!
The Gamma Server opens in less than two weeks! We have a GSM set for this Saturday, September 27th at 10pm UTC (normal time) to give announcements and answer your questions about the new server. We’re not doing any promotions or big rule changes this meeting – it should be short and sweet.
We want to know your questions! You can ask them during the meeting, or send them in advance. Guests are welcome to send questions to me in advance of the meeting, so long as they have completed at least one member application. Please note: if you are appealing a ban, you must do so by emailing the admins.
To ask questions during the meeting:
- You must be a Member or above.
- Connect to the Mumble server (the address is in Spawn Station, ask a mod for the password if you need it) on Saturday during the meeting.
- Message me using Mumble (right-click on “Chief”, then “Send Message”) that you have a question.
- I will add you to the queue and call on you when it’s your turn.
To ask questions in advance of the meeting, there are several ways to do it:
- Tweet me your question @chiefbozx.
- Email us your question. You can send it to the admin email address, or me directly. Both addresses are listed here. Do not send questions to Frumple directly, or else they will likely go unanswered!
- Send me an MRT Mail message with your question. My P.O. Box is on the left wall of the Admod Vault on the main floor of the Mail Centre in Spawn City.
- Post a message on our subreddit, /r/mrtserver.
- Post a message on my User talk page on the wiki, User talk:Chiefbozx. (Not signed in? Use this link instead.) This option is only for Members and above.
In order for us to be able to answer all of your questions, we need them submitted by 8pm UTC on Saturday (1pm Pacific, 3pm Central, 4pm Eastern, 9pm London, 10pm Central Europe, 4am Sunday Singapore/Beijing, 6am Sunday Melbourne/Sydney).
So long as you submit your question to us on time, we will do all we can to answer your question in the public portion of the GSM, and post our answer to your question on the website afterwards.
We look forward to receiving your questions!
(P.S. I said this above, but it deserves re-stating: Ban appeals need to be emailed to us, we don’t accept them via Twitter. Thanks!)
The August 30th GSM has concluded, and we have some important announcements regarding the new (Gamma) server.
First, we have set the opening date for the new server for Saturday, October 4th! Here’s a desktop wallpaper if you want that (though the time is still subject to change).
There will be another GSM held a week before launch on Saturday, September 27th.
Second, you can now view a dynmap of the new server by navigating to http://dynmap.minecartrapidtransit.net. From here, you can watch the staff as they finish construction on Central City and the 11 initial MRT lines.
Third, here are some details about the new server that many people have been asking about:
Economy on the New Server
- All players will be given $0.05 per minute they are on the server and not AFK. All players are automatically set to AFK after 5 minutes of inactivity, and all non-staff players are kicked after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- Players will have access to personal /homes, private warps, and the /tpa command (same as /call). The difference between personal /homes and private warps is that /homes can only be used by yourself, while private warps can be shared with others, either as a command or as a warp sign. Players will be able to create warp signs for their own private warps, without the help of any staff member. Personal /homes will be free to use, but warps and /tpa will cost $0.25 per use.
- We’ll only be using the basic Essentials Economy functionality for now. We looked at various other plugins for companies, corporations, stock markets, shops, ticket booths, and turnstiles, but we decided to consider them at a later date.
- There will be a lottery plugin installed, which allows you to buy tickets for draws that take place every 12 hours.
- The uCars plugin will be installed on the new server, allowing players to place and drive minecarts on designated roads, like an automobile. It does not affect the functionality of regular minecarts on rails, except when a uCar drives on to a rail, the uCar attaches itself to the rail like a regular minecart.
- Any player can drive a uCar, but only members and up and place a uCar. This is to prevent guests from spamming uCars on roads.
- uCars require fuel to operate. You will be able buy fuel at designated gas stations with special [uFuel] Buy signs. Fuel costs $0.25 per litre, and 1 litre gives you about 2-3 minutes of driving time.
uCars can only be placed and driven on the following blocks:
- Wool: Black, White, Yellow, Light Grey, and Dark Grey only
- Stained Clay: Black, White, Yellow, Light Grey, Dark Grey, and Cyan only
- Quartz: All block types
- Slabs: Quartz, Nether Brick, and Stone only
- Gravel, but carts drive at half speed
What will happen to the old world?
A day before the launch of the new server, the old server will be shut down, and the old world transferred over Before the transfer occurs, please note the following:
- If you have any valuable items like books or maps that you want to keep, please place them in regular chests in the old world before the transfer. Don’t leave them in your inventory or enderchest, as they may get lost in the migration.
- Custom map images may also break in the migration. If this occurs, we will be re-uploading these custom maps with new numbers, and you will then be able to replace the old maps with the new ones.
- All warps on the old world will no longer work after migration. Personal homes and warps will need to be recreated by the player. Please be patient as staff recreate the warps for warp booths, buses, and airplanes.
- We will not be copying large builds from the old world to the new world. You may ask a staff member to copy one or two small structures at the staff’s discretion, but we would rather encourage players to build new and original structures on the new world.
Other GSM Announcements
The recording for the public portion of the GSM can be found here.
The following players have been promoted to Trusted. Congratulations!
That’s all for now.
The next General Staff Meeting will be held this Saturday, August 30th at 10pm GMT. The staff-only portion will start as usual an hour earlier at 9pm GMT.
At this meeting, expect some major announcements regarding the new server, and that may include a possible launch date.
Moderator and Trusted nominations are now open at dft.ba/-MRTNominate. Please note that this will be the last opportunity for you to make these nominations before the upcoming launch of the new server, so please send in your nominations now.
Thanks and see you then,
Hey guys! We’ve been super busy building the MRT network on the new world and streaming it over the last week, so here’s some updates of what you can expect in the MRT system when the new world opens soon!
I’ve drawn up an updated map of the system as we currently have it planned.
The current map - click for full size.
Some line names and letters have changed. These changes are:
- The black line has been renamed to “Expo” and re-lettered to “X”.
- The white line has been renamed to “Zephyr” and re-lettered to “Z”.
- The pink line has been renamed to “Valley” and re-lettered to “V”.
- The green line has been renamed to “Plains” and re-lettered to “P”.
A new line has been added. Known as the L-Lakeshore line or MRT Marina Express, it’s a two-stop shuttle from the eastern Expo line to the main marina. Transfer to the Lakeshore line will be available at XE8-L1 station. It’s hard to see in the map, so click on it to see the full version and zoom in near the MRT Marina star.
The Arctic, Mesa, Forest and Plains lines are extended through Central City. The extensions are as follows:
- The Arctic Line has been extended from Central NW to Central SW.
- The Mesa Line has been extended from Central SW to Central SE.
- The Forest Line has been extended from Central SE to Central NE.
- The Plains Line has been extended from Central NE to Central NW.
Be sure to check out our streams on Twitch, there’s a lot going on there!
The new world is now under construction! Staff are beginning to get MRT lines and stations installed, and Central City is starting to take shape.
If you want to get a sneak peek at the new world, check out some of the staff members’ streams! We’re streaming our construction over on Twitch, so be sure to check us out. Most of us have our Twitch names the same as Minecraft. Click on the links below to go to our streams!
Everyone at once: click this link to see all of the streams at once!
I will add more links as soon as I find the other staff on Twitch. If you see them, let me know. See you on the streams!
Frumple’s Update: The recording for the public portion and Q&A of the GSM is now available here. Please note that we have decided to not promote any members to the Trusted rank at this meeting.
Chief’s Update: I punched a wall during the private staff meeting. A recording of that is available here.
Here are some of the maps we’re going to be using to build the initial MRT lines and Central City. Of course, things might change slightly before the server opens.
Here’s our plan for the MRT lines:
The original map is shown here as an approximate size comparison between the two worlds:
And the plans for Central City, although it is slightly outdated:
Please continue, as always, to send us feedback. More GSM results will be posted shortly!
Our next General Staff Meeting will happen on August 9, 2014 at 10:00 PM GMT (preceded by a private discussion at 9 PM GMT). We’re getting closer to Multiverse with each GSM, and this one will discuss two big topics:
- Final decision of new map seed
- Final decision regarding TrainCarts
There may be additional details that get added to the agenda between now and then, so if you have anything you want admins to know or discuss, please send it to us at admin [at] minecartrapidtransit.net. You can also email us build transfer requests or ban appeals and we’ll discuss them at the meeting. All requests should go to the admin address, please don’t send them to a direct address or the mod address.
Also, as usual, we’ll take Trusted nominations (although we are phasing out the nomination system). Send those in to dft.ba/-MRTNominate.
See you then!
A quick announcement: Happy birthday, MRT.
For those feeling nostalgic, have an old news post. For those looking onward, see last GSM’s results and vote on our candidate seed. So far we’ve received quite a few votes, so keep them coming!
Also, we have announced the names of all five of our new mods in the GSM results, and the recordings of the public portion have been posted. Congratulations to all five of our new moderators: hawksfan1010, jphgolf4321, lalaboy67, mfish125 and Music3_0!
Stay tuned to my YouTube channel for a second-anniversary Snapshot, it will be coming soon as I’ve gotten distracted with FRC things and SimCity, as usual.
See you around!