Last updated: 2018-01-22
- When will you update to the latest version of Minecraft?
- What kinds of mods can I use on the server?
- How do I figure out where I am on the server?
- How can I travel between worlds?
- How can I get a copy of the server world?
- Help! I joined the server and I can’t build!
- I completed a member application. When can you look at it?
- Who are the staff members?
- How do I become a staff member?
- What qualities do you look for in a staff member?
- Help! I’m stuck in a station dispenser and I can’t get out!
- Help! A station is broken and I can’t use the departure or arrival bays!
- Why are some of the MRT Stations named “Foobar Station”?
- Can I get an MRT Station renamed?
- What are the possible ranks I can obtain on the server?
- How do I obtain a certain rank?
- I have a large build, does this still count as one build towards the next rank?
- What kind of commands are available to me?
- How do I teleport?
- How do I place water/lava/ice?
- How do I request WorldEdits?
- Why can’t I see my build on the Dynmap?
- Help! My build has been griefed, or saw someone who was griefing.
- I’ve been given a warning, when will it be cleared?
When will you update to the latest version of Minecraft?
- The MRT Server will update when CraftBukkit and all of our plugins are ready. Because of the unpredictability of plugin updates, we can’t give an update estimate but it usually takes weeks to months. We will announce on the website and the server when we plan to perform an update.
What kinds of mods can I use on the server?
- Client/server mods such as Minecraft Forge, Railcraft, RedPower, Equivalent Exchange, ExtraBiomesXL, and others will not be installed on the server. You are welcome to use them in your single player games, but having these mods installed may hinder your ability to connect to the MRT server. Use them at your own risk!
- Client-only mods such as OptiFine, Advanced HUD, Friends Overlay and others are allowed. These mods should not cause connection issues; however, use them at your own risk.
- Malicious client-side mods are not allowed. Players who use these mods may be banned or kicked immediately and without warning.
How do I figure out where I am on the server?
- Use the server’s Dynmap, which shows the location of you and other players on a rendered map of the server.
How can I travel between worlds?
- Portals are available in Central Park. To get there, use the command /spawn, then travel to the gazebo behind you on top of the mountain to access the portals to other worlds. There are also portals on the other worlds at each of the other world’s spawn locations.
How can I get a copy of the world?
- World downloads are available on our file server, which is accessible to members only. Ask a staff member for details.
Joining the server / Applying for membership
Help! I joined the server and I can’t build!
- This server is greylisted: that means that anybody can join the server as a [Guest], but cannot build or destroy blocks. To get building privileges, please fill out a member application on the How To Join page.
Okay, I completed a member application. When can you look at it?
- When we have time. Remember that we are volunteers here with real lives, but we will try to get to your application when we can. Please be aware that asking staff about the status of your member application is against the rules.
The Staff Members (aka “Admods”)
Who are the staff members?
- The most up-to-date staff list can be found on the Staff List page right here on the website. You can also find the list on one of the information boards at Spawn, or in the Admod Building in Central City.
How do I become a staff member?
- Asking to become a staff member is against the rules. Players must be [Trustee] or higher to be considered for the rank. Candidates for moderator are discussed at general staff meetings and a majority of staff including Frumple must approve.
What qualities do you look for in a staff member?
- Occasionally we actively seek out new staff if our numbers are short, but in general we are always observing players for potential candidates. Players who are liked and get along well with others in the community, who actively participate and enjoy helping others, and who behave responsibly and maturely are the qualities we look for in a staff member.
The MRT Stations
Help! I’m stuck in a station dispenser and I can’t get out!
- More common in the ‘Old’ world. When this happens, calmly exit the cart and find the nearest exit to the upper level, either through a ladder or along the rails. Please do not complain about this in the chat, we know about the problem and the MRT on the ‘New’ world was designed to tackle this problem.
Help! A station is broken and it won’t work properly!
- If the departure bay is broken (can’t call a cart), it may just be empty. [Member]s and up can refill stations by placing carts into the refill track. If the problem persists, contact a [Mod] or [Admin].
- If the arrival bay is broken or track is missing elsewhere in the station, contact a [Mod] or [Admin].
Why are some of the MRT Stations named “Foobar Station”?
- “Foobar Station” is the default name of any station that is currently unnamed. If you need to know the exact location of the station, please check the dynmap, or read the in-game notification messages that appear in your chat when you enter the station.
Can I get an MRT Station renamed?
- We only rename stations once there is significant development and buildings around it. Players and towns who attain the [Mayor] rank can request the rename of a nearby MRT station.
What are the possible ranks I can obtain on the server?
- Please see the Player Ranks page for the list of all the ranks.
How do I obtain a certain rank?
- Please check out the appropriate section on the Player Ranks page for a description on how to become a certain rank. Different ranks have different requirements. If you are still confused, contact a staff member.
I have a large build, does this still count as one build towards the next rank?
- Although the requirements for ranks state a number of builds, we are more concerned with the time and effort put into your town. If you have a considerably large build, it may account to the same amount of effort as a couple of smaller builds. Equally, we may group smaller builds together as having the same amount of effort as a medium sized build. We’d recommend you don’t think about the numbers too much and just have fun building a great town.
Commands and Permissions
What kind of commands are available to me?
- Please check out the Commands page for a list of commands available to Guests and Members.
How do I teleport?
- Use of transportation when getting around the server such as riding the MRT, using bus warps or using uCars is encouraged. However you can request to teleport to a player by using the /tpa <player_name> command which costs $0.10 of in-game credit (see Economy for more details).
How do I place water/lava/ice?
- Only [Trustee] members and above can place water and ice, while only staff members can place lava. In general, please ask a [Mod] or [Admin] to place water/lava/ice for you.
How do I request WorldEdits?
- Only staff members have permission to perform WorldEdits. Ask a [Mod] or [Admin] that is online and they may be able to help if they are not busy. Again, remember that all staff members are volunteers on the server, so please do not pester them incessantly with requests.
- There are two WorldEdit schools on the server as well as YouTube videos and website. One school is located underground right outside of old world spawn station. look for an elevator. The second location is in Central Park on the new world. Find the warp in the MRT Welcome Center. Please learn what you can of WorldEdit as it makes doing them for the staff a lot faster and more exact of what you want of them to be.
How does the economy work?
- In-game money is generated by how long you spend online. You can then use this money for convenient warps, fuel for uCars and paying people for other roleplay services.
Do I have to use the economy if I don’t want to?
- Yes and no. You will still generate money by being online and it will still cost money when you teleport. Even with moderate use of teleportation, if you choose to ignore the other features of the economy you shouldn’t be restricted by not participating.
Why can’t I see my build on the Dynmap?
- Due to the vast size of the new world, the Dynmap is only rendered periodically, typically every 6 months. If you wish for your build to show up, ask a staff member to do a local dynmap render for you. Other worlds are rendered on a weekly basis.
Help! My build has been griefed, or saw someone who was griefing.
- Please send a private message to one of the [Mod]s or [Admin]s that are online. They will teleport over and confirm if griefing did actually occur. Please DO NOT try to fix the griefing yourself quite yet, otherwise it will be more difficult for us to check who performed the griefing. If there are no staff members online, please notify the staff via email (staff [at] minecartrapidtransit.net)
I’ve been given a warning, when will it be cleared?
- Warnings are given to players who break the rules. Standard warnings can be cleared after 1 month, double warnings can be cleared after 2 months. You will be told when you are warned as well. To help you out please note down the day you are warned so you know when it should clear. Additionally, note that warnings are issued and cleared manually by staff, so if you have an active warning and believe it should have been cleared, please ask an admin for assistance.