Happy new year, MRT!
Hope you had a fun end to the eventful year that was 2020. I know I did, haha. Anyway, it’s time for the stuff that happened at the January GSM!
Starting out on Community Issues, we discussed current feeling/thoughts on the warning system. Staff wanted to gauge opinion on whether we should overhaul the system. Many members and staff wanted to see a proposal so Mega will be working on a draft for a future GSM so stay tuned.
Mega put forth a proposal to add a cooldown to candidates that are repeatedly nominated for staff.
If a candidate’s nomination is rejected 2 times in a row, then a 2 GSM cooldown will come into effect.
Godz proposed adding the debug stick to the server. Beta server activated it and showed there is a possible abuse of setting walls to be invisible. Unlike barriers where you can see outlines, you can’t see an outline with an invisible wall. The permission has been enabled for staff so if you want to use the debug stick, ask a staff member.
EliteNeon proposed increasing the AFK time limit to 60 minutes. This was denied as the server has enough performance troubles as it is (thanks Minecraft devs) and the AFK limit serves to kick inactive players and reduce loaded chunks. Staff asked members if we should lower it and was vehemently opposed by members.
Mega and Frumple will be doing some testing on their computers to see if they can possibly run the dynmap render of the New World locally and transfer it to Zeta, avoiding a maintenance day to do a render. If this doesn’t work, we will make an announcement and update when we plan to do the render on Zeta.
Keeping on, keeping on
Starting out the GSM, Frumple had a few comments on the year and addressed concerns about whether he would shut down the server following the events of October 4th and other minor arguments that have flared.
The server lease has been renewed for 1 more year. There are strings attached, however:
- As many may know, the staff haven’t been running as many events recently. This is mainly due to IRL commitments such as work, university, etc. We still make time to help run the server but our time is much smaller. That isn’t to say events are fundamentally dead. Many members have stepped up to the plate with different events. We love to see that and would encourage more of that.
- Expect better server accountability. Given all the changes that we have tried to make as staff, we hope this has made it easier for you to bring any concerns to us.
- For the sake of his well-being, Frumple has decided to shrink his presence on the server. That isn’t to say he’s going away. He still runs essential tasks for the server, guiding staff, and helping with disputes.
- Try to learn skills to get along with others
- If a player is clearly not reasonable and not willing to listen or understand, don’t be surprised if Frumple indefinitely bans them.
I would recommend to read the full statement linked below to read Frumple’s exact words and for more details.
Updates! Get your Updates!
On Monday, January 11th, all MRT services will be down at 5PM UTC (9AM PST). Expect it to be a few hours as we will be doing the following updates:
- Main Server will be switching from AMP to Pterodactyl.
- Paper and plugins will be updated on Beta after successful Beta testing.
- Mediawiki update to 1.35
- UploadWizard extension will be added.
- Some updates for mobile viewing will be done.
We considered two nominees for moderator, Echohue and MC_Protocol. Out of the two, Echohue was promoted to moderator, following a successful majority For votes. Congrats, Echo!
Now that we’ve had the moderator nominations underway for a while, we’ve wanted to give some feedback on the quality of the nominations that we’ve seen. There have been long nominations (such as 10 pages for one candidate) and short ones (like 1 page). We don’t have a length requirement however we encourage you to take a good look at your nomination and make sure it gets your points across in a clear and concise manner. In addition, make sure your evidence backs up your points for why that person should be a staff member.
Skele proposed adding a general rule around sharing private messages in public. This was accepted. The website will be updated soon with this text:
Do not share private conversations to a third party without the consent of the person(s) in the conversation. The unauthorized sharing of private conversations is illegal in some jurisdictions in addition to being an unethical violation of privacy. Because of this, it is not okay to leak private conversations without permission even if it is done outside of MRT services. If something that happens in a private conversation requires the attention of Staff, do not draw attention to it in public; instead, discreetly email the details of the incident to the Staff.
From Here to There
Aurora International Airport (AIX) & Shared Airport Discussion by CaptainObi/Johngi/JavaIsBetter/DintyB/Needn_NL/ModernArt (Aurora Team) was denied. There was a very healthy discussion over the proposal to build a large shared airport in the NW near Carnousie, Kaloro City, Skogheim, Lakeborough, and Norwest. Staff thought it was novel idea to build one large airport for the area vs multiple tiny airfields however the main concern was over the spacing/intergration of the towns in the region. For Aurora, they agreed to build up more infrastructure and found another town in between Carnoustie and Kaloro to help bridge the gap between Carnoustie and the rest of the region. Also, staff split out the A84 (and approved it) from their plans to help their integration plans as seen below. JavaIsBetter will be heading up the road construction of this A road. Aurora posted their discord in #auxillary-discords so any member can view/give feedback on the AIX progress. Given that this is the first of a kind, this GSM served to help discuss expectations/standards of how to judge these projects. In the future, we hope that AIX becomes a standard of how we will judge similar regional proposals.
Delvin Street Pedestrianization by EliteNeon was denied. The proposal that was sent in didn’t give a compelling argument to change the current design of the street in the area. Staff also asked Elite to remove the 2020 US Election Board from his plot since the 2020 elections have concluded in the States.
A15 + B287 by mibu1223 has been approved. Here’s a map of the roads for context.
B417 by Avaneesh2008 has been conditionally approved with staff guiding construction. There were some concerns over the proposal to stick to 1 elevation versus going with the terrain so we will keep a close eye and help Avaneesh as he builds it.
Auchendale Inactive Town Bypass by i____7d was approved. [Obligatory insert “newrail flr go brrr” joke here]
Make it Rain
We had a lot of events that requested event funding. Can’t wait to see them in action!
The Great MRT Riddle by sasha9076 was approved. This will start end of January/early February.
Get to X Tournament (Name Change Pending) by Avaneesh2008 was approved. We did ask Avaneesh to update the name as the description of the events taking place aren’t in the spirit of Get to X. This event will take place during January and February so stay peeled.
SuperTuxKart Rapid Racing by underscorepie was approved. Last session went well and pie decided to return with another session. This one is set for January 23rd at 7PM UTC.
London’s Pub Quiz: January 2021 by LondonThameslink was approved based off the success of his past sessions. We did suggest to London to shrink the amount of questions due to concerns over the length. If you have any feedback from past sessions, make sure to share it with him too!
The Great MRT Build-Off by daltdisneyland was approved. Dalt’s planning to air in February so keep alert for a ping in Discord.
Can I have this?
The GSM saw a lot of Inactive Asset Transfer requests:
- Sweet Sand Dunes (requested by Noahrebl_) has been denied due to concerns over wanting to redo his current town. Staff encourage him to focus on that town for the time being.
- Orel Airways (requested by time2makemymove) has been denied due to concerns over trying to just get a gate at the airport and that he didn’t try to contact the original owner, MishkaMan. The only asset of the airline was a gate at Kolpino City. If Mishka doesn’t reply by next ISM, time can resubmit.
- Insula Montes Lanark-Laclede Express Station (requested by HarborRandom) has been approved.
- Voltorb Kinetics (requested by Hightech_TR) has been approved on the condition that he doesn’t charge for the designs as he didn’t create the designs originally.
- Villedyn (requested by decorminecraft) has been denied as the town was already given to Camelicano in August 2020.
Next staff meeting will be the ISM on January 30th at 7PM UTC. Can’t wait to see ya then!
The final staff meeting of the year is now behind us, so let’s take a look at what happened.
New Moderator and updates to the voting procedures
At the end of the last GSM we made some tweaks to the voting procedures for new moderator candidates. Specifically, a candidate will be promoted if at least two-thirds of the cast votes are “Yes”, and the candidate is not vetoed by Frumple. Staff must be prepared to defend any vote, but especially if voting “Neutral”. Note that a veto is different than a “No” vote; Frumple can vote “No” without vetoing a candidate completely.
With those changes taking effect at this GSM, we had two candidates:
- Needn_NL, who we also reviewed back in November, was not promoted as the final vote tally was 5-5-0 (5 Yes, 5 Neutral, 0 No).
- Skelezomperman was promoted with a final vote tally of 9-1-0.
Skele’s term has now begun and he will be learning the ropes over the coming weeks, so please be patient as he gets settled to the new position. Additionally, even though the Trustee Meetings are not an official server activity, they are a beloved component of GSM days for many members, and according to Trustee Law Skele will identify and announce a replacement presiding officer for the January GSM. Congratulations to Skele and welcome aboard!
- We discussed a proposal to post project approvals in #notifications like we do with rank changes and asset transfers. We decided against this as we think this would cause too much confusion, especially with airports. Project coordinators are free to continue posting news in #media-announcements or through the existing media and wiki channels as they always have.
- We discussed a proposal to increase the “4K” rule to 6,000 blocks, but ultimately decided not to adjust the rule. Having the limit where it is provides good accountability on projects. We did make improvements to this procedure a couple months ago to limit the chance of a waiver request being delayed, and there is still no time limit when construction has to be completed.
- The “Franchise Rules” section of the rules page has been relabeled as “Private Commercial Property Rules” to better align with how the rules are applied.
- We are updating our policies surrounding asset transfers when a player is indefinitely or permanently banned, to give them an opportunity to express their wishes on asset ownership before releasing assets to the community for IAT claims. Effective immediately:
- A player who is indefinitely or permanently banned has 14 days from the date the ban is issued to email staff a list of transfer instructions for any assets they held. This is commonly called a “will” and may list desired new owners for towns and companies. In-game money cannot be transferred. Transfer instructions should be sent to the all-staff (staff@) email, not just to admins.
- Deputy mayors can immediately assume control of their respective towns through the existing Deputy Mayor Succession process. This request can be overridden if the banned player submits transfer instructions within the 14-day period after the ban is issued. As such, deputy mayors are advised to either hold off on succeeding mayorship, or at the very least waiting to start any significant projects, until the 14-day submission period has expired or they have been explicitly named as the town’s new mayor.
- If an indefinitely or permanently banned player does not submit any transfer instructions at all within two weeks of the ban being issued, or only submits instructions for some of their assets within the two-week period, any remaining assets (except for Old World towns) will become eligible for IAT.
- Players who are temporarily banned, either by request or due to accumulating three warnings, are not subject to this policy, even if their temporary ban is longer than two weeks.
- Posting a will on the wiki is not an official submission in and of itself, however if it’s up to date, a banned player can simply state that the will on the wiki is accurate and should be executed (or, even better, simply copy and paste the text of the will into the email sent to staff).
- TL;DR: Indefinitely and permanently banned players have two weeks from their ban date to email staff a will (wiki pages don’t count). After that, anything not stated in the will becomes eligible for IAT as usual. Deputy Mayors can immediately take control of towns as usual, but can be overridden by a valid will.
- We received a request to add a sub-clause under General Rule 11 (the “Belligerent Dissent” rule) or Most Important Rule 3 which would state that conversations must be taken to private messages upon request. We don’t think this is appropriate and instead urge members to contact staff if an argument is getting heated in chat or if you’re unsure about a situation. Please resist your natural urge to insert yourself into heated arguments – if you’re a bystander, your best bet is to contact staff, especially if you’re not trained in conflict resolution or de-escalation. Several staff members do have professional conflict resolution training, so please let us know how we can help.
The only transport project we reviewed was a request to update signage on the A90. This was approved without objections.
We received four event proposals this time around.
- Funding for the MRT Winter Games 2020/2021 in Dand has been approved in full pending final confirmation of dates and times.
- Funding for a new game show, Lingo, run by autobus22, has been approved in full. (Reminder to Auto and others: as you plan your events, it’s really helpful to have a note at the end of your proposals that states the maximum budget for the event – it’s okay if you give out less!)
- The AviOff Building Competition, submitted by noahrebl, has been approved with reduced funding: all prizes will be 10% of their original proposals. This funding is held until we receive, by email, a copy of the judging criteria (ideally the exact text that will be given to judges) and a final confirmation of the date and time.
- The Winter Olympics has been denied funding due to concerns over lack of communication with the host city and a history of last-minute planning at previous Olympics (this proposal was received 6 minutes before the cutoff time for the GSM). airplane320 may resubmit this event at a future meeting, provided the proposal is submitted jointly with the host city and its mayor (in this case, Vulpicula), and the event is planned out completely before submission.
We received three IAT requests and approved all of them, though each with different notes.
The IAT of Dandenong (C2) to EliteNeon was approved in full; Sese has volunteered to assist in land regeneration and integrating the town into nearby Benion.
The IAT of FreeAir has been approved in principle, though owing to the complex nature of FreeAir’s ownership structure, we are doing this in a two-step process. EliteNeon has assumed ownership of the airline, but is not cleared to merge it into Clipper just yet. Anyone else who wishes to make an ownership claim to FreeAir, and has evidence to back up their claim, should contact staff by 19:00 UTC on Thursday, January 7 (the agenda submission cutoff for the January GSM). If no such claims are received, Elite will be free to merge the airlines at that point. However, if claims are received, we will process those at the January GSM.
Finally, the town of Chalxior (L1-L2, ZN33-ZN34) has been transferred to kyyl_, voiding a Deputy Mayor Succession claim lodged by ModernArt during the meeting. This is an unusual decision, so I’ll go into our reasoning – while Modern’s Deputy Mayor Succession claim would have normally taken priority, we decided to void it for three main reasons:
- Late submission: Modern’s objection to the IAT was received well over an hour after the GSM had started, when we normally expect IAT objections and other comments to be received by the standard start time of 19:00 UTC. Modern has stated he has been experiencing technical issues with his devices, which we acknowledge is frustrating, however he had repeatedly been on the Minecraft server and has regularly had an “online” Discord status in recent weeks, especially after the agenda was published.
- False claims in email: Modern’s email claimed that kyyl_ had made no attempt to contact ModernArt to privately come to an arrangement after an Inactive Town Bypass proposal was denied at the November ISM, and that Modern had never been notified of kyyl_’s intention to do work in the area. Both of these claims were disproven with evidence submitted by kyyl_ in the original IAT request, and left us with the sense that the claim was submitted solely to block kyyl_ from receiving the town rather than an honest request.
- History of inactivity and abandoning towns: Modern has a long history of receiving or starting towns, and then either becoming inactive or abandoning the town. As Chalxior is a key transport hub (with the start of the Lakeshore Line and the main gateway to the northern portions of Wards 1, 2, 8, and 9), we preferred ensuring that the town’s mayor is an active member, so that even though kyyl_ has indicated changes to the town itself will be very minimal, transport connections can still be made and given proper oversight.
Please check the Events Calendar for information regarding community events over the holidays. While there is currently nothing official planned, there are a lot of member-organized events happening between now and the end of the year.
While they will look different this year, we know that the holidays are an important time of year for a lot of members and staff, so there is no December ISM (it would have been held on Sunday, December 27). The next staff meeting will be a General Staff Meeting on Saturday, January 9, with moderator nominations due at 19:00 UTC on Saturday, January 2.
Have a happy, healthy, and safe holiday season.
Winter is coming! (…Well, for those in the Northern Hemisphere. And it honestly feels like it’s been winter for about 15 years at this point. And good lord why does it get dark so early?) As another month has come to a close, let’s round up what we discussed at the Infrastructure Staff Meeting on November 26. Apologies that these results are so delayed!
We had eleven transport projects to review this time around. Eleven. Y’all were busy. So here’s what we talked about and what’s been cleared.
- Modifications to the northeast corner of the A0
- The B42 from East New Brazil to Marisol
- The B209 from Encinitas to San Diego and Solana Beach
- An inactive town bypass at Lawrenceville
- The CentraLink Metro E Line in Central City (I have taken over administration of this project to ensure that stations are being built with high-quality interiors)
- Phase One of the A360 Zeta Ring Road
- The B288 from Malosa to Tulipsburg
- A BluRail inactive town bypass at Bearainstein
- A proposed addition/extension to the B22 was partially approved: while the previously-set conditions were met, we have concerns about terraforming along the existing road. We have partially approved joining the islands together in Ottia Islands and signing the segment as the B22.
- An inactive town bypass that would have allowed the A1 to tunnel under Chalxior was denied as the town currently does not have a mayor. This can be re-proposed once ownership is settled.
- The B84 from Las Playas to Ardaman was denied as frogggggg already has an active B-road project that we’d like to see finished first, the terraforming issues mentioned in the B22 project, and the road is going to an unranked town (generally this last point isn’t an issue on its own, though).
- Prize amounts for the MRT Video Contest were adjusted downwards to account for a slightly smaller participant pool.
- Prize amounts for the MRT Transit Awards, organized by PtldKnight and Skelezomperman, were increased and approved.
- LondonThameslink has been approved and received funding to hold another Pub Quiz.
- A spleef tournament in Rockham was approved with full funding.
- The MRT Taiga Line extension to the Lakeshore Line was approved, on the condition that the future T59 station will require an IAT, but will not be regenerated.
- Holiday ranks are now active and will remain so until December 31. They are:
- Guest: Mistletoe
- Member: Snow
- Citizen: Icicle
- Trustee: Bauble
- Councillor: Tinsel
- Mayor: Present
- Senator: Wreath
- Governor: Holly
- Premier: Star
- Moderator: Nutcracker
- Administrator: Candy Cane
- Owner: Socc
The next GSM is on Sunday, December 13, with topics due at 19:00 UTC on December 11. As there is no Infrastructure Staff Meeting in December, this is the final full-staff meeting of the year. The next meeting after this one will be a General meeting on Saturday, January 9, so if you have events or projects you’d like reviewed, please submit them sooner than later.
Hiya, Sese here! And with that, it’s time for the news from the November 14th GSM.
Yellow Gang (New Premier)
This GSM, we reviewed the town of Oparia for Premier. With a vote of 8 For and 0 Against, kyyl joins the rank of Premiers on the server. He had this to say at the GSM:
|I joined the MRT for the first time on the 2nd of April, 2020. I was really bored during COVID and after looking at 3 city maps, I thought, “maybe there are some servers for this kind of thing.” I’ve spent my time here for a little over seven months, and it has been fun (most) of the ride. This, no matter what the results at the GSM are, has been one of the fun parts. One of the reasons I’ve really stuck around here has been the community. I’ve made connections here that I definitely could not have done just strolling down the street, and I’m really grateful for that. But this isn’t about my belonging (which will be discussed in approximately 15 minutes), it’s about my city. I really loved making Oparia from the start to the finish. EliteNeon was the first person to come to Oparia, setting up a wooden dock at my Downtown for easy access to his town of New Mackinaw as well as to what would have been the RoE Capital. From then on, Oparia grew to have 160 buildings to this date, and that growth even astonishes me. It astonishes me because I’m really not that creative. I love following a format and just doing the same thing over and over again, Oparia looks like to a small extent, but there’s also a lot of original design and good builds there that I’ve ended up quite proud of. Oparia really has been quite the project and this has been quite the server to do it on. Thanks for all the support and stay tuned for moderator nominations!|
Gold Gang (New Mods!)
As we mentioned in the past GSMs/ISMs, this GSM featured the new moderator nomination process. We had 4 candidates who were up for debate at this GSM. Out of that, 2 were promoted. Congrats to kyyl/KyleFrb and daltdisneyland! Click below to see all of the candidates we discussed and candidates who received one nomination. Remember that candidates need 2 nominations to be discussed at GSMs/discord review channels.
On November 17th, Main server has updated to 1.16.4! Make sure to update your launchers if you haven’t connected to the server since the update. Some new things include:
- GSit has replaced RFChairs
- /lay to lie down and make snoring sounds
- /crawl to crawl around
- You can sit on other people now!
- //setbiome and //regen don’t make the server panic so admods can do them now by request
- You can now use your scroll wheel to select floors on a Lift. Right click on a [Lift] sign with no item to enable it. The old way of clicking a sign with an item still works.
Frumple has cancelled planning the survival server due to the events of October and the influx of new staff who will need onboarding. That isn’t to say that it will never happen but won’t happen for the foreseeable future.
Now, on to the other proposals at the GSM!
Some rule changes are on the horizon based on two proposals that Frumple showed at the GSM.
First off, we will be adding Rule #13 (centered around voicechat conversations):
|13. Do not record voicechat conversations without consent.Recording public events such as staff meetings and member events are exempt. Also, any voicechat evidence presented to staff or for moderator feedback will be dismissed unless it is particularly egregious or illegal.|
Second, staff have decided to take a pro-LGBT, anti-racist, anti-sexist stance. Based on current climate around us, we believe that everyone should be comfortable and that should apply to this server. Staff members will be expected to enforce the rules against any form of racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. In short, treat each other with respect. Or as Bill and Ted said “be excellent to each other and party on!”. Official wording for this one is still being worked on by Frumple and will be updated on the main site in the future.
Godzilltrain proposed moving the Premier City voting to the Public Portion of GSM. This was discussed for a good chunk of time but ended up with no changes to the current process due to worries over members messing with staff during a vote.
We accepted a proposal from kyyl and CodyHM to add pronoun roles such as he/him, she/her, and they/them. You can add them to your discord profile through the #selfassign-roles channel on discord.
kyyl submitted a proposal to increase the recommended build count for Governor to 80. Based on feedback from members and staff, the decision was made to raise it to 70 so it still has a curve from Senator to Governor to Premier.
sasha9076 proposed adding @media and @event roles to discord so people wouldn’t have to use @everyone pings. This was denied based on the media/events channel setup we have currently. You can set your notifications for certain messages and pings by channel in Discord. If you have any questions on how to discord, ask an admod and we will gladly help you out!
Central City Revamp
There has been a lot of talk around changes to Central City. This GSM featured a proposal from wipeout111 to remove old buildings (mainly buildings with incomplete exteriors) and open new plots for construction. This sparked a lot of constructive conversation between the community. For now, we tabled this proposal for now to allow AP_Red to conduct an inventory of what builds we currently have in Central City. With this information, we can better evaluate the situation of all builds in Central City.
In addition, CentralLink Metro is currently amid a renovation by multiple members. AP_Red is heading this up with multiple members so contact him if you would like to renovate a CentralLink Metro station!
B97 from Fuxemburg to Beachview was approved.
B845 from Roadonia to Birchwood was approved.
A12 bypass/reproposal was approved
B53 from Redwood to Metromso was approved.
Hold my Taco for my Burrito
XIX TacoBurritoAThon was approved. Tentative dat is Saturday, December 12th at 19:00 UTC. It will be held in Hendon with Skelezomperman and LondonThameslink heading it up. Message Skele if you want to participate!
Is It Cold in Here or Just Me?
Brrrr, Arctic line extension has been completed from Snowtopic (A32) to Kaloro City – Pine Park (A53). With it being opened, all stations are currently claimable!
Aaaaaand that’s a wrap on all of the fun stuff. Stay safe and wash your hands
We did it! We successfully speedran a staff meeting – today’s ISM was open and closed in 1 minute, 4 seconds! In that time we approved:
- An inactive town bypass for Fred Rail at the town of Toshi Town.
- An extension to the B287 between Malosa and Turtle City.
- An inactive asset transfer of C92 Station to Cynra_.
- Renaming Lake Victoria to the Victorian Sea.
- Renaming Lake 53 to Piccolo Lake.
Looking ahead to the next few meetings, which we will not speedrun:
- Moderator nominations for the November GSM will close at 19:00 UTC on Saturday, November 7. Because of how the weekends line up, you’ve got a couple weeks to submit them this time around. Thank you to everyone who has submitted them so far – we’ve received several already, and one person submitted nine nominations in one email, so we’re certainly looking forward to the new process!
- As more countries will be switching to or from Daylight Saving Time over the coming weeks, please double check what time the meeting will be in your local time zone. The meeting and all deadlines are at 19:00 UTC on the appropriate days.
- We will have an ISM on November 28, however our December ISM (which was scheduled for December 27) has been cancelled. Our final staff meeting of the year will be the December General meeting on December 13. Please plan ahead if you have any year-end events or projects you’d like us to review.