As you all may have seen, we had a special staff meeting. This meeting had a closed agenda that had topics set beforehand. There is a lot to discuss but I tried to capture most of yesterday’s discussion as a Q & A. But first, I’ll list some of the main highlights:
- Frumple will be returning as Owner in full capacity (effective now)
- 2022 renewal is happening (this was already promised by Frumple)
- However, that renewal is slated/most likely to be the last one with the renewal slated to expire end of 2022/early 2023.
- All MRT services will be shut down (Mumble, website, wiki, Discord, etc)
- There will be a final world download before shutdown
- Remember: that the world download is for personal use. If you want to do more than that, you must ask Frumple for permission
- Discord timeline is still up in terms of how/when that will be shutdown
You might have a lot of questions from seeing this so I’ll add the questions that were asked at the meeting.
- Will world download include warp/maps?
- Frumple will research into it..
- Seems to be a file for warps
- Will the wiki be allowed to download?
- Frumple will look into it
- Is it possible for a group of members to take over the server?
- We looked into transferring to another admin before. The MRT is set up as a company entity and transferring it across country borders is a legal hassle that costs thousands. It is a large legal pain and headache that we don’t want to undertake.
- What about Staff Meetings?
- Staff meetings will continue as normal until further notice
- Moderator nominations will close before the server does (still figuring out timeline on when to shut down Moderator Nominations)
- What about Member Apps?
- We will continue to accept member apps for now.
- We will figure out closing of member apps in the future.
- If we download our towns and use it, is that ok?
- Yeah, you built your town so you technically “own” them.
- But remember to think about franchises that people have built.. You don’t own those builds.
- Are y’all still taking donations?
- Donations are still open but not going to sway our opinion on shutting it down
- Will Frumple publish the MRT server configs to Github?
- Unknown, up to Frumple
- Whatever is currently on Github is free to use
- (to Frumple) Would you say Modgate kicked off this process?
- Hard to really point to a single thing that pushed it over the edge.
- Anyway to take snapshot of Dynmap will all of current functionality?
- Lots of disk space would be needed
- (to Frumple) Should this have been done years ago?
- Not really, it’s a miracle that we lasted this long.
- Will we update to 1.17?
- Plugins are updated and look good
- Beta testing of re-enabling command blocks need to happen too
- What about Rank Promotions?
- Rank Promotions will continue as normal for the time being
- Probably will go until a month until closing and then be frozen
- Will Frumple record videos of the server as it closes?
- Frumple’s YT channel is basically dead
- Will new admins be promoted?
- Admins can still be promoted and are promoted adhoc/at need of the server.
Chief also has put together a separate FAQ to answer the questions above and a few others in more detail below.
The Agenda/Minutes from the Meeting can be found with the links below:
We will keep y’all posted with more information/details as it comes.
In the meantime, we have a chunk of time together. The ISM will be on October 31st at 7:00 PM UTC so we’ll see ya there!