Hello everyone! The snow has finally melted outside my house, and we’ve held the May 2019 GSM and have some announcements to share. The video archive is available on Frumple’s YouTube channel here.
Before we begin these updates, one really important reminder: there is no GSM for July, so if you are planning an event for the anniversary and need server funding, it needs to be submitted by 7pm UTC on Friday, June 7. We are anticipating that the June GSM will be just as long as the May GSM, so please plan ahead!
With that being said, here’s what happened at the May GSM.
As many of you know, AlikSong stepped down from his moderator position as of this GSM. We are grateful to Alik’s contributions to the server and staff team during his 3 years, 5 months, and 5 days of service, including a brief 208-day stint as an admin. Alik will be on the server occasionally to continue work on the Premier-ranked city of Kenthurst. As with all staff departures we are sad to see Alik go, and we wish him the best in his future endeavors.
We did consider one candidate to join the moderator ranks, but decided not to offer the position.
We will not be considering moderator nominations at the June GSM (as we want to focus on anniversary preparations). Moderator nominations will be open again at the August GSM.
Spring Dynmap render May 13-17 adds new features
For those who are new, we update dynmap with a full render of each world once per week. The exception is the New World due to its size and activity. The New World is rendered in localized areas upon request, and in full twice per year (generally in April or May, and again in October or November).
The Spring 2019 New World render will begin shortly after 4:00 am UTC on Monday, May 13, and will likely last about four or five full days. (The two-dimensional map requires us to render about 1.3 billion blocks.) During this time, renders of other worlds will be suspended, and WorldEdit and local renders will not be available.
With this render we will be enabling night renders, and adjusting the tilt of the 3D render from 60 degrees to 45 degrees. Because this is our first time rendering the map with these options, progress estimates won’t be provided during the render. These features will only be used on the New World, and will also be reflected in localized renders.
Staff approved two changes to the rules, effective immediately. First, the “10 Minute Rule” has been added as a full rule, rather than a guideline:
When you or staff join, wait ten minutes before asking for non-urgent assistance. Do not ask staff for dynmap renders, WorldEdits, town reviews, or other non-urgent assistance until both you and they have been online for 10 minutes or longer. Staff may choose to honor requests earlier than this at their discretion. Requests may not be made through Discord.
Second, we will be adding guidelines on Map World usage, including how to submit a map to the central library.
While we will not be changing the rules on what items can and cannot be used, we are issuing a general caution against using items with potent effects that affect multiple players at once or the server itself. This means that you should not be using fireworks with extremely long durations, potions with high levels of potency or that apply multiple effects at once, or items with unusual or strong enchantments. These items can cause damage to the server or to other players’ clients, and so should not be used.
Other community issues
- We have been looking at alternatives for uCars, but have not found any that are suitable for the server or that we feel are stable enough to bring online. We’re still on the lookout, but for now we have decided not to install any replacements. Horses, flying, and railways (gasp!) are your best bets for getting around for now.
- Lake 11 (from this map) on the west edge of the Estival Sea has been renamed to Avenir Bay.
- We have extended the boundaries of the “ward” system to the expanded Epsilon world border. You can see the updated map here. (Generally, A-roads will have their first digit be the lowest-numbered ward they pass through or terminate in.) Special thanks to Vickiposa for putting this map together, it’s been something a lot of us have wanted to do for a long time.
- We will be testing a proposal to allow members to use some WorldEdit selection commands (members won’t be able to modify blocks). Assuming testing goes well, we’ll implement these on the main server shortly.
Projects, events, and MRT lines
We approved two MRT extensions and several projects and events. As usual, construction along proposed MRT lines is now prohibited, and will remain so until the lines open.
- The MRT Southern Line West (SLW) will be built out by godzilltrain from S0 to the southwest corner of the world.
- The MRT Desert Line will be extended from D37-M35 to the southern terminus of the Savannah Line (H28). This extension, coded DLX2, will be built by sesese9. This line does not continue past H28.
- We have approved funding for Survivor 2, hosted by daltdisneyland, which begins Saturday, May 18.
- We have approved funding for Frumple’s MRT Video Contest. The exact details will be determined at a later date, once builds of the Replay Mod and other video creation tools become a little more stable.
- We have approved funding for XIV and XV TacoBurritoAThon, hosted by Skelezomperman. The dates are still being finalized, but the first one is currently scheduled to occur on Saturday, June 15.
- After some discussion with time2makemymove, a project to standardize and add signage to Central City has been approved.
- IntraRail and XenRail have both received approval to bypass some inactive towns along new proposed service routes.
- Conric005 has received permission to build a bus terminal in Central City for Neptune Bus.
- We have approved a franchise building competition proposed by Frosty_Creeper10, on the condition that all franchises built there during the event are removed at the conclusion of the event.
- Finally, we have approved a canal between Lake Dulwich and the Equinox Ocean, as proposed by Red_Ray.
Thank you to everyone who submitted projects and events – we can’t wait to see them in action!
One new road, one road extension, and one road improvement have been approved:
- The A410 from Cremona to Sunshine Coast, proposed by Echohue
- An extension of the B355 from Jungleville to Bawktown, proposed by Majatho3
- A rework of two interchanges of the A5, proposed by Narnia17
Inactive asset transfers
- While not discussed in this section, MRT Land (originally built and managed by thomasfyfe) has been transferred to JTrain77.
- The unnamed town near Gemstride and Heampstead will be transferred to SoaPuffball.
- PyroCity (near Boston) has been transferred to FredTheTImeLord.
- The town at WN20 has been transferred to TheSubway.
- Just_robinho requested taking over ownership of St. Roux (C36-P25 and surrounding areas). Ownership will be held while Robin works to integrate Marblegate (F27) and Lakeview (P28), but as of now Robin is acting as caretaker for the area, and he has been granted authority to manage railways and other transportation links through the town.
- MC_Protocol will take over operation of the MRT Library and National Archives in an unofficial capacity.
That should be everything – thank you to everyone who submitted topics! The next GSM is Sunday, June 9 at 7pm UTC.